Monday 27 October 2014

Happy Halloween!!

Part One!

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays! I have some of  the best memories from my childhood around Halloween. Deciding what costume to wear, putting it altogether, going trick or treating with my friends and of course having a big bag full of sweets at the end of the day!! But I have to say my fondest memory was decorating the house with my Mum. She went all out at Halloween. We had a porch at the front of the house and she used to make it into a cave. I don't think any description I could give you now would do it any justice but we always got so many compliments on the cave and we had so much fun doing it. I remember we used to pester my Dad for days (probably weeks) before Halloween to go up into the attic to get the costumes and decorations. The day was then spent planning and putting together our costumes, carving the pumpkin and then helping Mum put up all the decorations in the cave. I just won't mention how one Halloween I nearly set the house on fire... sorry again Mum and Dad! I definitely think I get my creativeness from my Mum and she's the best when it comes to holidays! 

Me- Halloween 2012

Things haven't really changed since I've grown up. I still absolutely love Halloween and adore getting dressed up every year. That said I just had to do a Halloween special on Breaking into Baking. For the Shattered Glass Cupcakes you can use my classic vanilla cupcake recipe with the vanilla frosting or feel free to use a box mix for the cupcakes and ready made icing which is what I did here. I used the Betty Crocker vanilla cupcake mix and the Betty Crocker vanilla buttercream icing. For my Graveyard Brownies I used my chocolate brownie recipe and some Betty Crocker chocolate buttercream icing but you can also use a box mix for the brownies. As this blog is called 'Breaking into Baking' I wanted to show you on this post that even if you don't posses the best baking skills that these two recipes are so easy to do that anyone can give them a go. If you have kids they are so much fun to make.. although maybe the cupcakes are not so suitable for children! 

Shattered Glass Cupcakes



You will need:

Vanilla Cupcakes
Vanilla Buttercream frosting
Glacier Mints (such as foxes)
Liquid Glucose (I used 1 Dr. Oetker tube)
1 tsp of Cornflour
2/3 tbs Water
Red Gel Food Colouring
Blue Gel Food Colouring

For the Glass:



Place your glacier mints on a baking tray covered in parchment paper. Put them in the oven at 180C to melt. They will only take a few minutes. Keep an eye on them. Once they have melted take out and leave to cool. Once cooled (again won't take very long) use a rolling pin or some other big utensil to smash the "glass". Set aside until ready to use.



For the Blood:

Put your glucose and cornflour into a bowl. Mix until well combined. Add a couple of drops of water to make the mixture slacker. Then add your red food colouring. I added about 10/12 drops of red and 2/3 drops of blue but you will know yourself when you get the desired colour. Then add more water until you have reached a thick syrupy consistency similar to blood. 


Once your cupcakes have cooled ice them with your vanilla buttercream (be as messy as you want here). Then start sticking your shards of "glass" in the top and pour on your blood over. 

Viola!



I hope you have as much fun making these cupcakes as I did. Check out part two of my Halloween special tomorrow for some spooky Graveyard Brownies. Here's a sneak peek...


As always you can find me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you do try these cupcakes please share some pictures with me on any of those sites or you can always leave me a comment below.

Happy Baking and Happy Halloween!!

O x

No comments:

Post a Comment