Monday 12 May 2014

Lala's Lemon Slices

Lala's Lemon Slices (Gluten Free)

As I have mentioned previously in my blog my Grandmothers were both wonderful bakers. One thing I always remember about visiting my 'Lala' in Dublin was the constant supply of lemon slices in the press. They didn't last long when we were around but she would whip up a batch as quickly as we had them eaten! I recently asked my Aunt to send me on the recipe and I tried to recreate them myself. They are so light and fluffy with the bite of the lemon complimented by the sweetness of the caster sugar. They could not be any easier to make and are a perfect treat to have in the house for spring and summer.




I have been wanting to bake with Gluten Free Flour for some time now and thought these lemon slices would be perfect to try it out with. I recently moved house and one of my new housemates in Celiac so I made a promise to her to try out the gluten free flour she had in her press. There were no complaints from any of my housemates about these lemon slices.. they were consumed for breakfast, lunch and dinner so they must of been good! You can of course use regular self raising flour if you wish. 

Ingredients:

Sponge
170g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour / Self Raising Flour
170g Butter
170g Light Brown Sugar
2 Eggs

Glaze
100g Caster Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon

Preheat the oven to 170C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper. I used a 30x22 cm baking tray that I use to bake my brownies in.

Method:

Melt the butter in a heat proof bowl over a ban marie (water bath). When melted remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Stir in your sugar and then your sifted flour. If you cannot get gluten free self raising flour use plain gluten free flour with 3/4 tsp of gluten free baking powder. Then beat in your eggs and mix. When it is all incorporated put the mixture into your tin and bake for 25-30 mins. The top of the sponge should spring back to touch and be golden brown in colour. While your sponge is baking you can make the glaze. Simply combine the juice of one lemon to 110g of Caster Sugar to make a thin paste. When you remove your sponge from the oven spread this paste over it immediately. The lemon juice will sink down into the cake leaving the sugar to develop a light crust on top. Cut to your intended size. 


I hope you try out these Gluten Free Lemon Slices and please let me know how they turn out. If you have any questions you can find me on FacebookTwitter and Instagram. This is the lovely lady who owns this recipe. This is on her 90th Birthday in 2012. Such a wonderful woman.



Happy Baking!
O x


No comments:

Post a Comment